To promote cultural exchanges and mutual understanding among nations and to develop further cooperation among filmmakers of the world, the 42nd Moscow International Film Festival (MIFF) will be held in Moscow in April 22-29, 2020. Moscow International Film Festival is accredited by the International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF) as a non-specialized competitive film festival.
The 42nd Moscow International Film Festival is held under support of the Russian Ministry of culture.
The program of the Festival includes:
Short films Competition,
Selection Committee of the Festival selects the films for the Festival program. Films submission to the 42nd Moscow International Film Festival should be done via on-line system Festhome (www.festhome.com). Submission period December 30, 2019 - February 21, 2020.
Official notification of the Selection Committee decision on each submission will be sent no later than the date of the Official Press-Conference of the Festival.
The Festival program includes films, which have not been publicly screened on the territory of the Russian Federation (excluding Retrospectives and the Russian programs). General Management of the 42nd MIFF determines the festival screening schedule. Each film can be shown not more than five times during the Festival, including press screenings.
Only full-length feature films produced after May 1, 2019 are accepted for the Competition programs (except Short Films Competition).
World and International premieres are the preference for the Competition programs.
Not less than 12 films will participate in the Main Competition of the 42nd Moscow International Film Festival.
Acceptable formats for Main Competition is DCP.
Not less than 7 films will participate in the Documentary Competition of the 42nd Moscow International Film Festival.
Acceptable format for Documentary Competition is DCP.
Short films produced after May 1, 2019 with the duration of not more than 35 minutes are accepted for the Short Films Competition.
Acceptable format for Short Films Competition is DCP.
Screening copies of the films selected for Competition programs should be in original language with English subtitles, if the original language is not English.
Prints of the films selected for Competition programs should be delivered to General management of MIFF not later than March 30, 2020.
Films which participate at the Out-of-Competition section (except Retrospective screenings) shouldn’t be previously screened in Russia.
Acceptable formats for the films participating in Retrospective programs are 35 mm or DCP. Preferable format for the films selected to the other out-of-competition programs is DCP with the original version of the film, in case the original version in not in English - with English subtitles. Screening copies should be delivered to General management of the 42nd MIFF before March 30, 2020.
All conditions and suggested dates are obligatory; otherwise, the Management of the 42nd MIFF has the right to exclude the film from the Festival program.
Duly filled in and signed Entry-form for each selected film, confirming the participation in the 42nd MIFF should arrive before March 27, 2020.
Entry-form must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- The dialogue list in the original language and in one of the following languages: Russian, English;
- The list of subtitles in English and an Online screener / DVD with English subtitles;
- Synopsis, press and promotional materials;
- Excerpts from the film and trailers;
- Materials for the festival catalogue, including a detailed biography and filmography of the director, a director's photo as well as slides from the film;
Transportation and insurance of prints
General management of the 42nd MIFF covers all transportation costs for the screening copies of films selected to the Competition programs (AIRPORT of sender-Moscow-AIRPORT of recipient).
General management of the 42nd MIFF covers transportation costs for the screening copies of the films selected to the other Festival sections from Moscow to AIRPORT of recipient.
General management of the 42nd MIFF covers all film storage and insurance expenses during the Festival.
General Management of the 42nd MIFF determines all the terms of guests invitation and accreditation.
Each film participating in the Main Competition, Documentary Competition and Short Films Competition should be personally presented by 1 representative (director).
General management of the 42nd MIFF covers the following expenses:
- round-trip tickets and hotel accommodation up to 4-days for 1 representative of the Main Competition films (director);
- round-trip tickets and hotel accommodation up to 4-day for 1 representative of the Documentary Competition films (director);
- hotel accommodation up to 3-days for 1 representative of the films in Short Films Competition (director).
Hospitality terms for other official guests of the Festival will be indicated in their personal invitations.
Applications for accreditation should be sent before April 10, 2020.
The International Jury of the Main Competition, the International Jury of the Documentary Competition and the International Jury of the Short Films Competition will be set up to judge the films in the Competition programs.
General management of the 42nd MIFF will cover round-trip tickets and hotel accommodation for each member of the International Jury of the Main Competition and an accompanying person.
General management of the 42nd MIFF will cover round-trip tickets and hotel accommodation for each member of the International Jury of the Documentary Competition.
General management of the 42nd MIFF will cover round-trip tickets and hotel accommodation for each member of the International Jury of the Short Films Competition.
Persons connected with the production or commercial distribution of a film in competition are not allowed to serve for the corresponding Jury.
Participation of a producer in each Jury is obligatory.
The International Jury of the Main Competition will award the following prizes - Statuettes of St George:
- Main prize for the Best Film (goes to the producer);
- Special Jury prize (awarded in accordance with the Jury's decision)
- Prize for the Best Director
- Prize for the Best Actor
- Prize for the Best Actress
The International Jury of the Documentary Competition will award:
- Prize for the Best Film of the Documentary Competition
The International Jury of the Short Films Competition will award:
- Prize for the Best Film of Short Films Competition.
The Organizing Committee and General Management of the 42nd MIFF award the following prizes:
- Prize for an outstanding contribution to the world cinema
- Special prize «I Believe. K.Stanislavsky» for the outstanding achievement in the career of acting, and devotion to the principles of K.Stanislavsky's school.
The following prizes are also awarded during the Festival:
- Prize of the International film critics jury (FIPRESCI Jury) for the best film in the Main Competition (goes to the director)
- Prizes of the Russian film critics jury for the best film in the Main Competition (goes to director)
- The Audience Choice Award for the best film in the Main Competition following the audience polls results (goes to the director)
- Prize of the Russian Film Clubs Federation for the best film in the Main Competition (goes to the director).
It is expected that the winners will personally attend the Award Ceremonies.
Participation in MIFF presumes observation of all articles of the present Regulations. In case of any disputes which may arise out of the present Regulations, only the Russian-language variant of the present Regulations is considered authentic. General Management of the 42nd MIFF has the power to settle all cases and issues not covered by these Regulations according to the clauses of the International Regulations of FIAPF for Film Festivals.
Shipping and Mailing Address:
General management of 42nd Moscow International Film Festival:
11 Maly Kozikhinsky lane,